Computers, Electronics, and Networks
The top two fastest growing occupations from 1998 and projected to 2016 are Computer Engineers and Computer Support Specialists. If you want a job that pays from $40,000 with increasing opportunities for advancement in a growing field, then start with training from the CEN department of Edmonds Community College.
The Associate Degree in Network Technology builds on the Computer Service Technology Certificate. With an additional 3 quarters of training in Networking and CISCO Routers, in addition to the CST Certificate, a student can earn an Associate Degree.
Emphasis in the second year is on preparing students for two of the MCSE Exams, Windows 2008 Server Active Directory, Windows 2008 Server Network Infrastructure, and CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Administrator) Exam.
Install, maintain, administer and troubleshoot complex computer networks running Microsoft Windows 2008 and Windows 7 operating systems.
To attain that in the end, students will be able to:
- Describe and explain the Open Systems Interconnect (OSI) network model.
- Identify and explain the difference between repeaters, bridges, routers and gateways and relate them to the OSI network model.
- Identify and explain network topologies such as Ethernet 802.2, Ethernet 802.3 and 802.11.
- Install and configure Network Interface Cards and cables to connect network components such as servers, workstations, printers, routers and bridges.
- Install and configure network operating systems to make a file server out of a stand-alone computer.
- Install and configure client software on individual workstations so they can become part of the network.
- Create and administer users, groups, directories and other objects as required.
- Set rights and permissions as required for these users and groups.
- Set up network printing.
- Set up and install DNS with Active Directory.
- Set up VPNs
- Install servers in a Virtual environment.
- Troubleshoot network problems.
- Distinguish between an operator problem, a hardware problem, a software problem, and a network problem.
Career opportunities with this degree.
Network Technology Cost Sheet.